Basic Turkey Terms
Think you can talk turkey like an expert? Flip the card to test your turkey hunting terminology and learn some new lingo you can use out in the field.
- Tom: A mature male turkey
- Jake: A young male turkey
- Hen: A female turkey
- Gobble: The sound a male turkey makes (a “shock gobble” has a different pitch and happens when the turkey is scared)
- Purr: The sound a female turkey makes
- Pitch: A female turkey’s purr varies depending on maturity and mood.
- Strut: What a tom does when trying to impress a hen, or when he wants to show dominance over another male turkey.